Friday, August 10, 2007

HOUNDS IN THE HOOD

Originally published on October 22, 1997

I found out last night that Bracken when he called back, getting Sue at nearly 3AM (uh, is that right?) on the phone after leaving my birthday party to inform me that he had driven past, and stopped for Reggie a few blocks away from the Dollhouse after we had given up on the lad, foiled in a ten dollar weed run for the Brack & me, Reggie claiming the ten spot Sue gave him was lifted at knifepoint, then on top of that preposterous real life event, he the Bracken, proceeded to tell Sue that Gabriel was a poor writer, a confusionist, and whatever else he could swirl across lines of counterproduction in trying to seduce Sue at my expense.

The fact that writing (neither mine nor his) never once surfaced all night is what makes this whole slander so outrageous. Sue told him she didn't want to hear it, and probably wouldn't remember this call in the morning. She did remember but only revealed this part of the conversation to me last night some three plus weeks after the fact.

Subversionary bastard, ain't he? As for Reggie, what a twit. He talked about how I'd never disrepected him, and yet, he stoops to this garbage. I haven't heard from him yet. Maybe it's a pay a year in advance sort of plan with Reggie.

Sue DID mention that Len had called that night. Hell, I was there. I heard her responses. She just never mentioned his remarks on my writing. I think she was protecting me.

Len's not a confusionist (a label he has pinned upon Greil Marcus, Stewart Home, and Gabriel Thy, so I suppose I should feel the company benefits kicking in any day now), he's merely confused.

Ring. Just got off the phone. It was Bracken. He was with his dad he said, looking at Scenewash. Asked me if not a lot was online yet. I stated yes indeed that was the case. He was very specific in his questioning. I replied in same. Queer conversation. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

GT

No comments: